The ancient name of Amravati is “Udumbravati”, prakrut form of this is “Umbravati” and “Amravati” is known for many centuries with this name. The mispronunciation form of this is Amravati and now the Amravati is known with the same. It is said that Amravati is named for its ancient Ambadevi temple. The ancient proof of existence of Amravati can get from stone carved inscription on the base of marble statue of God Adinath (Jain God) Rhishabhnath. This shows that, these statues were set up here in 1097. Govind Maha Prabhu visited Amravati in 13 th century, at the same time Warhad was under the rule of Deogiri’s Hindu King (Yadav). In 14th century, there was famine (drought) in Amravati & people abandoned Amravati and left for Gujrat and Malva. The local people were returned back after several years at Amravati, the result of this was scanty population. In 16 th century, Mager Aurangpura (today’s, ‘Sabanpura’) was presented for Jumma Majseed by Badashah Aurangzeb. This reveals that Muslims and Hindus lived together here. In 1722, Chhatrapati Shahoo Maharaj presented Amravati and Badnera to Shri Ranoji Bhosle, by the time Amravati was known as Bhosle ki Amravati. The city was reconstructed and prospered by Ranoji Bhosle after the treaty of Devgaon and Anjangaon Surji and victory over Gavilgad (Fort of Chikhaldara). The British general author Wellesly camped in Amravati, particular place is still recognized as camp, by Amravati people. The Amravati city came in to existence at the end of 18th century. Union state of Nizam and Bosale ruled the Amravati. They appointed the revenue officer, but defense system was worsted. Gavilgad fort was conquered by Britishers on 15th Dec’ 1803. According to the Deogaon treaty, the Warhad was presented as the token of the friendship to Nizam. The Warhad had Nizams monopoly, thereafter. Near about 1805, Pendharies attacked Amravati city.
Geography Amravati city is situated 340 m above from the sea level. Pohara & Chirodi hills are in the east of the city. Maltekdi is one of the hills, which is inside the city. The hight of Maltekdi is around 60 m & the statue of great maratha king, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj is placed on the top of the hill. There are two lakes in the eastern part of the city, namely, Chhatri Talao & Wadali Talao. The city is located in the East Maharashtra on the altitude of 20o 56′ north & 77o 47’ east. It is the main centre of west Vidarbha. It is on the Mumbai-Calcutta high way.